[mrtg] Installed MRTG & MRTG Central Recently - Need Guidance

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 29 23:29:02 CEST 2009

(disclaimer: I'm a bit biased with regard to Routers2 and the Book of course)

First of all, you might like to take a look at the book http://www.steveshipway.org/book/ (website currently experiencing DNS issues) which covers all sorts of aspects of MRTG and how to make the most of it.

We run a distributed MRTG system graphing about 15,000 metrics with custom reports and so on such as combination graphs.  If you use the Routers2 frontend, you can get Top-n reports for metrics as well as other reports.  You can do alerting with MRTG, but you will probably find that something like Nagios is better for this purpose - you can use the same agents for both MRTG and Nagios, and there are plugins to allow Routers2 and Nagios to embed frontends into each other.

Take a look in the forum at http://www.steveshipway.org/forum/ (once the DNS is fixed...) for a lot more help and information.  There are also a lot of documents available at www.mrtg.org<http://www.mrtg.org/> for you to read.

Steve

From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of ishobith at aol.in

Would require your valuable suggestions in improving the current MRTG installation which I have done which takes data from around 100 devices.  This has a front end from MRTG-Central and basic facilities.  Can you please guide me with ideas so that I can get more from MRTG.  Like reporting, top 10 reports, alerting, and many more things which i am not aware of.  Thanks in advance and have a great day.

I would really like to explore the world of mrtg and find its enormous possibilities.