[mrtg] trouble ticketing & working procedure

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Mar 3 14:05:33 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 21:04 -0800, Sumanta Das wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have some question
> I am very new with MRTG.
>
> 1) Now my question is can I add my own trouble ticketing application with
> MRTG? That is if I want to maintain trouble ticketing with MRTG, is there
> any way? So that I can monitor the traffic as well as can handle people's
> trouble too. Please help in this scenario.

The Un*x way is to write tools that do one thing well.  MRTG is very
good at polling devices and making graphs.

If you want a tool that is good at trouble-ticketing, look at bugzilla
or trac.

If you want a tool that is good at alerting look at Xymon or Nagios.

If you want to integrate them, they all have hooks that can be used by
each other.

> 2) And about its working procedure. How it monitor the
> bandwidth(upload/download).

Every "managed" device has counters.  These counters are generally
incremented by the firmware of the device in question.  A software app
called an SNMP daemon provides a way to read the counters.  MRTG keeps
track of time and the counter value, watches for roll-overs, and is able
to derive useful information from those facts.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy