[mrtg] Changing from gauge to no gauge

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Mar 10 21:12:48 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 20:00 +0000, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After a lot of experimentation and change I have grown blind to this.  I am
> capturing two values using a script.  They are:
>
> 5323
> 33
>
> The top value is the Downstream FECs, the bottom value the Upstream FECs.  Due
> to the nature of the connection (ADSL) the Downstream frequencies experience
> many more errors and the top value increases at much faster rates compared to
> the bottom value.  When I run it like this it works:
> Options[modem-errors]: gauge, noinfo, nopercent, growright, nobanner
> Target[modem-errors]: `/opt/bin/perl /opt/etc/mrtg2/test.1800HG-v00e3.pl`
> MaxBytes[modem-errors]: 10000
>
> However, when I remove "gauge" from the options all I get is zeros, despite
> the fact that the Downstream FECs continues to increase every few minutes -

if you are using rateup as the backend, then it rounds down to the
integer rate per second, so if you don't have at least 300 FECs per 5
minute interval, you will end up with zero.  Between 300 and 599 it
would show 1, and so on....

You can change that by using the perminute or perhour keyword (I forget
the precise syntax) or switch to rrdtool.  rrdtool is not constrained by
integer arithmetic, so a rate of .001 FEC/sec can be graphed.

> the Upstream only increases a tiny fraction every day or so.
>
> Any idea what I am missing here?
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy
http://www.austinenergy.com