[mrtg] Threshold Alerting on specific device.

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Mar 23 16:57:12 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 10:02 -0500, Baker,Matt wrote:
> I’ve seen some stuff about threshold alerting on the mailing list and
> in documentation, but it seems to be a global setting.

There are a couple of global settings, but mostly it is per-interface.

>   Is there a way to do this for a specific device only or am I
> misunderstanding the documentation?

ThreshMaxI[] and ThreshMaxO[] are per interface, so it can be set up
that way.

> Basically I’ve got a Pix box that I want to be alerted if it polls the
> outside interface as > 15M usage 3x in a row.

That's slightly more challenging.  ThreshHold checking in mrtg is only
vaguely stateful.  I might suggest you use something like Xymon for the
paging piece, perhaps with bbmrtg.pl.  That gives you a lot more
granularity to work with, but it does come at a significant cost in
disk-IO.

Someday I'll hack up the Thresh...[] stuff to support that more
natively.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy