[mrtg] Threshold Alerting on specific device.

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 23 18:45:24 CET 2009

As people have mentioned, the Thresholding is defined per-target, although some settings are global (email servers, addersses, cache dir).
What you want (only notify if over the threshold for a certain length of time) is a bit too sophisticated for MRTG's simple notification system; I'd suggest you look at something like Nagios and configure MRTG thresholding to send an alert into Nagios for it to handle (what we do).  This would require a very simple alert script so send a Nagios NSCA message.
If you only have a couple of things then Nagios might be overkill though, although I have a fondness for the Nagios/MRTG combination as they interface nicely in the web pages and can share the same monitoring agents.

Steve