[mrtg] Traffic Graphs for PPPoE Users

Tim Sheahan tim at timsheahan.com
Sat Mar 28 23:31:10 CET 2009

I've dealt with similar issues. I'll describe the two solutions and you can
tell me which sounds most interesting for your application:

At home, I have several qos class-maps configured on a router. Like
subinterfaces these can be identified, and their byte counters fetched, via
SNMP. I had trouble making this setup easily configurable, but your AV-pair
solution addresses this part of it.

I have a perl module which could be adapted to your purpose with some
alteration to the hard-coded SNMP OIDs and the calculation logic.

At work, I've written a peak/offpeak usage measurement system, also in Perl.
Radius is configured to accept accounting packets from the cisco router and
update a table called RADUSAGE. Using a perl subruntine I've written, it's
possible to come up with byte-totals over a given time-trame. Your
application is actually even much simpler, I think -

If you just wrote a tiny script to take a sum of the download-bytes and
upload-bytes columns per user, I think MRTG would be able to make sense of
those as a counter. This would be sufficient for data rate calculations if
you aren't so interested in getting usage totals over a defined interval.