[mrtg] cfgmaker error: No response from remote host

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu May 21 14:19:43 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 22:01 +1200, Steve Shipway wrote:
> >Every time I run cfgmaker I get different error; this time it's
> >"SNMPWALK Problem for ipAdEntIfIndex", sometimes it's "ifType" and
> >other times it's "ifDescr"  (however, getting these info via snmpwalk
> >works just fine.). The cfg file that is being generated has many
> >entries commented out (with #).
>
> This might indicate the problem is with the device's response times.
> Increase the retries and the timeout on the SNMP query via the SNMP
> options (I don't have the documentation to hand for cfgmaker but I
> think you need to add the ::::: suffix to the community at host syntax
> with appropriate numbers in there, can someone else help out with the
> values?

community at router[:[port][:[timeout][:[retries][:[backoff][:[version]][|
name]]]]]

timeout

        initial timeout for SNMP queries, in seconds (default: 2.0)

retries

        number of times a timed-out request will be retried (default: 5)

backoff

        factor by which the timeout is multiplied on every retry
        (default: 1.0).

But your problem might also be that your device doesn't have working
ifHCSpeed or ifSpeed indicators, in which case you will have to hack up
cfgmaker to add yet another exception to the growing list of broken snmp
implementations that are hard coded in cfgmaker.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com