[mrtg] Strange phantom spikes in graphs

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 15:09:22 CEST 2009

I've seen this happen all the time when using log file format on busy
systems, though usually my spikes are impossibly large (greater than 4Tbps),
so I have a script that runs periodically and trims down spikes that are
larger than MaxBytes.  For spikes that are less than MaxBytes, though,
I'm at a bit of a loss, since my script wouldn't be able to identify them
as erroneous.  I think I'd want to run some other tool first to really
verify whether they might be legitimate traffic volumes or not, and
then proceed from there.

Matt