[mrtg] actual byte counts for interfaces?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Oct 1 15:56:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm looking at the .log files that mrtg is generating for the interfaces
on my router.  I am also looking at the description of that file in the
documentation.  The documentation says that each entry provides the
timestamp, the _average_ incoming/outgoing and the maximum
incoming/outgoing.

I was hoping for raw data, rather than an average, on each interval,
like the first line provides.

Certainly I can extrapolate back out the raw data by multiplying the
average values by the time between log entries, but of course I am going
to be subject to rounding errors there.

Is this the best I can do/hope for?

What about a proposal to extend the log format to add fields for the raw
values?

b.