[mrtg] Monitoring Internet Speeds

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Oct 3 21:59:58 CEST 2009

How about uploading a 1MB file to a known external location, then writing a MRTG plugin that times a download of this file and converts this time to a bps?  You need to have a large enough file else the HTTP protocol overhead will impact the calculations.
Of course this is dependent of the speed of the external website, too, so you need to be sure that THAT is not the bottleneck.  Possibly doing this for several locations and averaging the results?

If you are going to use MRTG, you probably want to run the checks every 5min and use RRDtool, then routers2, mrtg-rrd or 14all to generate the graphs as required.

Steve