[mrtg] MRTG / Routers2 Threshold checking

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 8 22:40:02 CEST 2009

> I am looking to set up MRTG to check thresholds for certain server
> switch ports and also for WAN link.  Is there an easy way to do this
> with routers2 and MRTG??  My concern is that once I updated the .cfg
> files, everytime I run cfgmaker that it will over-write my Thresh*
> configs.

Threshold checking is done entirely by MRTG, not Routers2.  However, Routers2 will display the thresholds on the graphs if they are defined.

You could put the various global threshold configurations (mail server, etc) into a separate .conf file and then use Include: to include it; the Include: line can be specified in a --global parameter passed ot cfgmaker so it doesn't get overwritten.

If your thresholds are percentages of bandwidth then you can define them with a global default [_] in the included file, which will work.  If, however, you want to set them explicitly for each Target, you'll need to put them into a separate .conf file and then again use Include: to include it, and put this directive in a --global you pass to cfgmaker to prevent overwriting.  This hack will work with MRTG but Routers2 will probably not detect the threshold values (as they are in a separate file) and so not display them.

Steve