[mrtg] MRTG / Routers2 Threshold checking

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Oct 12 13:53:27 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 09:40 +1300, Steve Shipway wrote:
> > I am looking to set up MRTG to check thresholds for certain server
> > switch ports and also for WAN link.  Is there an easy way to do this
> > with routers2 and MRTG??  My concern is that once I updated the .cfg
> > files, everytime I run cfgmaker that it will over-write my Thresh*
> > configs.

> If your thresholds are percentages of bandwidth then you can define
> them with a global default [_] in the included file, which will work.
> If, however, you want to set them explicitly for each Target, you'll
> need to put them into a separate .conf file and then again use
> Include: to include it, and put this directive in a --global you pass
> to cfgmaker to prevent overwriting.  This hack will work with MRTG but
> Routers2 will probably not detect the threshold values (as they are in
> a separate file) and so not display them.

Or, you can write a template to generate your threshold values.
Templates are just perl scripts, so you can get information to populate
your config using anything that perl can do - maybe you want to grep the
old config file and duplicate those lines?  Or a database dip, or
calculate the 95% percentile for the past year and alert when you exceed
it, or ....

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com