[mrtg] Auto-Discovering IPs of Switch Ports

Jonathan Mast jhmast.developer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:57:32 CEST 2009

First of all, let me say that I'm not a networking expert and my terminology
is probably a little off.

I have mrtg graphing a cisco switch, and it generates nice little graphs
labeled "Traffic Analysis for N -- MY-SWITCH".

This is great except for the fact that I don't have (switch) port to host
mapping, all the devices are at a colo.

I did run cfgmaker with each of the available ifref options, all of which
didn't help much.

So my question is, can MRTG auto-discover the IP of the connected devices on
the switches ports?

thanks