[mrtg] lastupdate parameter to rrdtool

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sun Sep 6 15:36:36 CEST 2009

Somewhere along the line rrdtool had a lastupdate parameter.  I was
using that to grab the last set of numbers retrieved for the number of
messages in the queues of a Barracuda spam filter.  Lastupdate seems to
have disappeared between 1.2.27 and 1.2.28 and last only returns the
timestamp of the last query.

I am not a programmer in any real sense of the word.  I use perl alot,
but....

I was doing:

rrdtool lastupdate <pointer to Barracuda queue size rrd db>  > test.txt

I was then parsing test.txt.  Is there a way to do that now?  I tried to
read Tobi's man pages and am completely lost there.

I was able to figure out how to grab that info from the web interface
from the Barracuda, but that is subject to change(and has recently), so
I would rather get it from the rrd database as snmp seems to be a more
stable source and less likely for Barracuda to change in the future.

Thanks,
Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.