[mrtg] Graphing input errors...

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Apr 14 23:48:10 CEST 2010

> Target[genoa.err]: ifInErrors.1&ifOutErrors.1:redrock at genoa: * 300 -
> WORKS!

Yay!

> Factor[genoa.err]: 300 - DOESN'T WORK. I guess my mrtg version is too
> old (2.10.13)?

The difference between using '* 300' and Factor[] is that the former changes the data before it is stored in the database, whereas the latter changes the data only at display time.  This is a subtle difference and so the former depends on your MRTG version, the latter depends on your frontend (if in RRD mode) and your MRTG version (if in Native mode).

The recommended Best Practice is to store data in the database in SI units, so in this case you should maybe use Factor[] -- if it is supported.

> My current option line is: Options[]: growright,nopercent,unknaszero
> Q 1: Graph graphs from left to right instead of right to left (inspite
> of the growright).  Any idea why?

Are you using Native mode or RRDTool?  If you are using RRDTool, then this will depend on the version of the frontend you use.  Older (all?) versions of 14all do not support growright, I believe.

> Q 2: How do you remove the "(5 minute Average)" labels from the graph
> labels (e.g. `Daily' Graph (5 Minute Average) )?

This is down to your frontend, if using RRDTool mode - it may be possible or may not.  If using Native mode then there's nothing you can do.

I would suggest you
a) upgrade MRTG to 2.16.2
b) Switch to RRDTool mode, if not already doing so.
c) Use RRDTool 1.3.4 or later
d) Use Routers2 as the frontend (but I'm biased with this piece of advice -- 14all should work just as well...)

Steve