[mrtg] reload config of MRTG in daemon mode

Obdeijn, Arnold aobdeijn at upc.nl
Fri Apr 23 13:49:11 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I am running MRTG in daemon mode (RunAsDaemon) and I want MRTG to reload it's config file three times a day. In the documentation I found the following:

"Note that when using daemon mode MRTG should no longer be started from cron as each new process runs forever. Instead MRTG should be started from the command prompt or by a system startup script."

"Also note that in daemon mode restarting the process is required in order to activate changes in the config file"

So what I want is a cron that restarts MRTG three times a day. Now my question is: what is the best (cleanest, most elegant) way to restart MRTG in this case? I am on a SUN server.

Best regards,

Arnold Obdeijn.