[mrtg] data collection did not complete within interval

Clark Kee ckee at ostinato.com
Wed Aug 18 21:38:28 CEST 2010

Yes, I've reviewed the online documentation on this subject (and the
applicable chapter of Steve's book). We've increased the Forks parameter
from 2 to 4 to 18, to no avail. Can someone comment on the different
performance implications of increasing the Forks param vs. running
multiple mrtg instances. This is running on an ultrasparc with 23
virtual processors, and load average around 2.

There are errors such as the following:
2010-08-18 15:23:54 -- 2010-08-18 14:54:54: ERROR:
Target[sometarget][_IN_] ' $target->[671]{$mode}  * 1.8 + 32' (warn):
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at (eval 1344) line 1.

Am I reading this correctly that this failing query took 29 minutes?
What would prevent that from timing out? The mrtg snmp libraries use the
default timeout/retry/backoff parameters.

C.