[mrtg] Scaling The Graphs For More Meaningful Results

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 9 08:44:55 CET 2010

Firstly, you want to set scaled  mode on the target, which means

Unscaled[_]: n

(The n means 'none' -- this only works on MRTG 2.16 or later though).  If you have any Unscaled[] directives in there already then remove them.  If using Routers2, then interfaces default to Unscaled mode unless oyu do this.  The previous poster had the instructions backwards...

If you are using Routers2 as a frontend to MRTG/RRD, then the 'Rescale' button will cycle through a set of different scaling options to show you the detail.  Also, the 'Compact' display allows you to list all active interfaces on the device and sort them by traffic descending, so you can see the interfaces in order of usage.  Finally, the Incoming and Outgoing summary graphs will display all interfaces on the same graph to allow you to make comparisons.

Steve