[mrtg] Are those headers still needed?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 18:23:34 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Jan Ferré <Jan.Ferre at uni-c.dk> wrote:

> Using MRTG with RRD-tools, I wonder if some MRTG-headers are still used:
>
>    WorkDir:  /home/unimogul/netdrift/Systemer/MRTG-data/FSKNET
>    Refresh:  300
>    Interval: 5
>    LogFormat: rrdtool
>
> Those I can understand! They will be needed.
>
>    IconDir: /home/unimogul/netdrift/Systemer/MRTG-data/mrtgicons/
>
> ..most likely not needed as they are part of the old html/png set.
>
>    Target[FSKNET.FSKNET.HOR-KVLT.IN-OUT]:
> ifHCInOctets.502&ifHCOutOctets.502:unic at 130.226.249.130:::::2
>
> ..this is needed.
>
>    MaxBytes[FSKNET.FSKNET.HOR-KVLT.IN-OUT]: 125000000
>    Options[FSKNET.FSKNET.HOR-KVLT.IN-OUT]: growright,bits
>    Title[FSKNET.FSKNET.HOR-KVLT.IN-OUT]: Horsketten-KVLT
>
> ..those all belong to the html/png set too, doesn't they?
>
> However I tried not having title and maxbytes and the MRTG complained
> they were missing. Does anybody know if the values are being used for
> anything (MaxBytes e.g.) when i use RRD-tool to generate the graphs.
>
> If you are trying to separate data collection (via mrtg) from data display
(via RRDtool/Routers2/whatever), the following are the bare minimum needed
in the MRTG config file for a device:

MaxBytes[]:
Title[]:
Target[]:

Target and MaxBytes are needed, as they specify the name of the RRD to use
and the max value to use in the RRD.
Title isn't needed, but MRTG will complain if you try to use a Target[]
without a matching Title[].

Other things that are useful, at least in a global config file, are:
LogDir -- where to save the RRD files
LogFormat -- to specify using RRD
LoadMIBs -- which MIB files to load
Options -- default options to use (like growright, bits, etc)
Forks -- how many threads/processes to spawn to do the collection
Interval -- how often to check (gets embedded in the RRD, I believe)

After much work, I have managed to completely separate data collection via
MRTG and data display via Routers2.   The MRTG files are very short, and the
files used by Routers2 only use routers.cgi* entries (no bare MRTG entries).

Granted, doing so requires avoiding cfgmaker as the output it creates is
very much geared toward using MRTG alone, with a single config file per
device, used for both data collection and data display (not to mention being
overly verbose).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com