[mrtg] "rrdupdate" on load-balancing cluster

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Tue Jan 26 10:10:06 CET 2010

Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the reply.

The more I look into this, the more I get the impression that the
"rrd"-part will not be the most difficult part.

It looks like the most difficult part will be how to get the data from
the "rrd-servers" to the webserver (14all, weathermaps).

It looks I have two options:
- Put all the data on a NFS-server (or better, a fault-redudant
NFS-server cluster).
This would -however- mean that every rrd-update would result in
network-traffic on that part.

- Put the data on the "rrd-servers" and nfs-share the data from every
rrd-server to the webserver.
This means that the rrd-files are local on the rrd-server and there is
no NFS network-traffic for every update.

The problem is to make this fault-redudant; so it able to deal with
rrd-servers crashing (which results in stale NFS-connections on the
web-server).

However, what option I pick, it looks like I need to look into how to
set up a fault-redudant NFS-server.
:-)

Does somebody have any idea how much NFS network-traffic one single "rrd
update" creates.

I want to be sure that, if I chose one single central NFS-server, that
that does not become a bottleneck.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.