[mrtg] "rrdupdate" on load-balancing cluster

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 18:13:19 CET 2010

Unless my math is off, assuming you use normal size ethernet frames
for your NFS server NIC (1500 byte MTU), your theoretical maximal
packet rate on a gigE link between your NFS server and your rrd-update
box should allow about 83,000 1500 byte packets per second on a
gigE link.  Most typical NFS servers top out at about 50,000 ops
per second
(http://www.spec.org/sfs97r1/results/sfs97r1.html)
so your network generally won't be the bottleneck, it'll be how fast
your NFS server can handle disk I/O.

If you spend a *lot* of money on a really high-end NFS box, you'll
be able to overrun a single gigE link from your NFS server to your
switch; but most of the top performing systems support multiple
NICs, so you can run an etherchannel bundle from the server to
the switch to scale the bandwidth up.

As you note, though, whether you go with a dedicated NFS
serving appliance, or use your rrd-servers as NFS servers
exporting to your presentation layer, the big challenge you
face is how to make them fault-tolerant and redundant.

You can consider using hardware solutions like snapmirror
between servers, or using a mirroring filesystem like...shoot,
I was just reading up on one, and I lost the link to it, but it's
a mirroring filesystem that's being added to linux, something
like dbrd, or bdrd...I have to run to a conference now, but I
can do more digging up on it later...but that's probably the
right direction for you to be investigating.

Thanks!

Matt