[mrtg] MRTG log file problem,

Paterson, Iain I.Paterson at gcal.ac.uk
Thu Jan 7 12:21:43 CET 2010

Hi,

I've spent quite a bit of time googling this, reading FAQs etc but I just can't seem to find the answer.

We have a red hat server which is running rapidly out of space in the /var directory.

In that directory we have a file 'mrtg' which is over 3GB in size (the total partition is only 4GB and there's other stuff in there). Without the whole boring story , we've had a change of personnel and we (the current people doing admin on the system) didn't even realise this thing was running (nothing in the 'documentation'). We're just getting familiar with this MRTG thing but the space issue is pressing now. The question is , how can we (drastically) reduce this file size. If we just delete after saving it elsewhere) the file does it get recreated from the date of deletion. Can you edit the actual file with vi and just strip out lines? Some other way of dealing with it? Now we've brought it to the network guys attention , they want to keep it running but they'd like us to save the last year's entries.

Anyway, any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Iain

Winner: Times Higher Education's Widening Participation Initiative of the Year 2009 and Herald Society's Education Initiative of the Year 2009
http://www.gcal.ac.uk/newsevents/news/bycategory/theuniversity/1/name,6219,en.html