[mrtg] rateup errors halt mrtg

Zill, Gregory (OMA-GIS) Gregory.Zill at interpublic.com
Tue Jul 6 14:38:18 CEST 2010

My new MRTG only lasts one or two runs before it stops producing graphs and data.

The object.log files disappear and all I see in the working directory are object.old.

The first errors look like

ERROR: Skipping webupdates because rateup did not return anything sensible
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0

My base mrtg.cfg looks like
HtmlDir: /var/www/html/mrtg
ImageDir: /var/www/html/mrtg
LogDir: /var/log
ThreshDir: /etc/mrtg
WorkDir: /var/www/html/mrtg

This is on a CentOS 5.4 and MRTG was installed using "yum install mrtg" resulting in mrtg x86_64 2.14.5-2 being installed.

I appreciate your time.

Gregory W Zill, MBA, CISSP | EIS-OMA-NetSec
W: 402-561-7268   |   C: 402-686-9306

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message.  Thank you very much.