[mrtg] rateup errors halt mrtg

Daniel McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jul 6 16:07:40 CEST 2010

On 7/6/10 7:38 AM, "Zill, Gregory (OMA-GIS)" <Gregory.Zill at interpublic.com>
wrote:

> My new MRTG only lasts one or two runs before it stops producing graphs and
> data.
>
> The object.log files disappear and all I see in the working directory are
> object.old.
>
> The first errors look like
>
> ERROR: Skipping webupdates because rateup did not return anything sensible
> WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0

> My base mrtg.cfg looks like
> HtmlDir: /var/www/html/mrtg
> ImageDir: /var/www/html/mrtg
> LogDir: /var/log
> ThreshDir: /etc/mrtg
> WorkDir: /var/www/html/mrtg

You shouldn't have both WorkDir and {Html,Image,Log}Dir

But I doubt that is your problem.

Do you have permissions set up right to store your log files in /var/log?  I
wouldn't think you would want rateup logs there, as you probably have
logrotate scripts and other security checks that would manipulate them...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281