[mrtg] threshold alerts

Forthofer Russ Russ.Forthofer at ssfhs.org
Mon Jun 7 16:05:54 CEST 2010

I only recently became aware of the ability of MRTG to alert when a threshold is reached.   I love this feature!   But,  I have some instances where it is less than optimal and I wonder if there is a work-around.

I have a number of T1s which will occasionally peak to 80-85%, even though they normally run at about 25% utilization.    The peaks do not last more than a single cycle of MRTG polling and so I would like to ignore these.  I currently have this set to email when a threshold is reached.  I would like to generate an alert only if a threshold of say 70 or 80% continues to be broken across multiply MRTG polling cycles.  Is this possible?  Do I need to use an external script to manage this or is there another way?

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.