[mrtg] Adapting mrtg conf to changes in network topology

PoligrafPoligrafovich steve.dutky at pgcmls.info
Tue Jun 29 00:14:50 CEST 2010

I have started to upgrade my network equipment. This will result in some
significant changes to network topology.

I plan as well to move the mrtg host to a virtual server, but until then I
would like maintain a coherent history during this changeover.

It appears that I can do this most easily by plugging the mrtg config with
new values in for the Target and altering the SetEnv,  Title, and PageTop
accordingly.

Once I have the new topology in place, I would like to move and reconfigure
mrtg to more easily accomodate future changes to the network.     I think
this would involve putting devices in /etc/hosts and configuring device
interface descriptions (SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.2.2.1.1.28.) with a
characteristic topological id.

The link below describes a shell script that rewrites the mrtg config to map
interface description to ifindex.

Is there another way to do this?    I would certainly appreciate hearing how
to handle moving the mrtg host and adapting to changes in network ports and
topology.

http://www.mail-archive.com/mrtg@lists.oetiker.ch/msg32740.html (see
graphing cisco virtual interface/PPPoE users)

many thanks,