[mrtg] mrtg 14all speed

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Fri Mar 19 16:55:49 CET 2010

Hello,

> I'm currently monitoring about 17k ifIn/Out Targets in 4 minutes..
>
> But what is killing me is the graph generation wtih stock 14all-1.1 ..
> I see that 14all-1.0 has a caching option for the cfg file which would
> be excellent here but I cant seem to get 14all-1.0 to work with
> mrtg 2.14 ... (ideas?)

I'm monitoring about 22k targets and I haven't troubles with on-the-fly
generating of graphs using 14all.cgi 1.1.
There are three things which I made for speeding-up of script.

1. Use modperl in apache.
2. Use separated MRTG config files with Includes in main mrtg.cfg.
3. Filter-out lines beginning with "#" from CFG files when creating them.

There remains one thing, when kernel flush caches. In this situation are
all accesses to the rrd files on filesystem blocked until cache is flushed.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka