[mrtg] ...MRTG intermittently recording zero values instead of valid values

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 7 10:07:17 CEST 2010

If you're using MRTG in native mode (no RRDTool) then it is not capable of working with anything other than integers.

If you're graphing pages printed, and polling every 5min, you might be getting zeros because it keeps rounding down.

I'd suggest you try switching to using MRTG with RRDTool instead of native mode, if possible, as it is much more flexible for this sort of data.  We graph pages printed (per minute) on our networked printers successfully, although this value can fall below 1 on average.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead