[mrtg] ...MRTG intermittently recording zero values instead of valid values

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 7 22:41:14 CEST 2010

> We are using MRTG in native mode (no RRDTool).  I'm aware of the
> integer
> constraint and am fairly certain it is not this.  I've tried graphing
> as
> a rate by running the cron job once per hour and multiplying the number
> of pages by 3600 in order to keep an integer. (I realize there is a
> perhour option as well.)  Alternatively, I've also tried graphing using

You *are* running the cronjob every 5mins (or whatever you set the Interval to be), I hope?  Otherwise MRTG won't store anything, as it needs 5min samples and will put 'unknown' or zero if it doesn’t get more than 50% of the samples for a given interval.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail