[mrtg] Win2003 Disk Space monitoring for newbie

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Apr 28 12:16:22 CEST 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 1:04 AM, "pintokhan" <pintokhan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm a total newbie to MRTG, and I'm trying to monitor my diskspace usage on
> windows 2003 server. I've tried following some guides I've found on the net,

Although I am quite fond of mrtg, this is not the best tool for monitoring system state. You might want to consider xymon or nagios if your primary interest is the health of various operating system parameters rather than polling discrete snmp variables from otherwise agentless devices.

> but I keep running into problems.

Most of the system-based templates that have been posted assume that you have a functioning snmp agent on the server.  I'm not much of a windows guy, so I forget if the snmp agent in windows 2003 is adequate or if you need a better one to get the host-resources mib.

I'd suggest you look at templates from www.steveshipway.org.

> I'm using mrtg 2.17.2 and perl. Can someone please help me out in making a
> config file?

The templates are used with cfgmaker. Something like:
cfgmaker --template=win.tp public at myserver > myserver.cfg

> Or pointing me to some place that has a guide for this? Most
> guides/posts I've come across assume a certain expertise in mrtg or
> scripting and a total newbie like me gets completely lost.

Partially because the host-resources mib is a pain to work with. Particularly with mrtg. Don't get me wrong - I poll around 70,000 points from 600 or so devices using mrtg and wouldn't think of switching that, but for host monitoring I use a xymon agent.