[mrtg] Monitoring Windows for Newbies

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Jan 8 22:34:05 CET 2011

EDV Service Dregger - Support wrote:

> Hey all!
>

> I´m using mrtg to monitor our routers, switches and access points
> since years and now we want to expand it with the windows servers. As
> i read in the web, windows is very tricki and i don´t have a useful
> point to start from.
>

> I would like to see the cpu and memory load in the first step, in an
> additional step maybe diskusage and uptime.
>

> How do you create cfg file for MRTG if you want to monitor the things
> i want? I´ve already looked for tools like snmp walk windows and so on
> but i don´t now how to use it. Could you please help me? By the the --
> CPU Load: Is it the same way like monitoring a routers cpu load? If
> this would work on windows i could use it for my routers J
>

> Best regards from germany
>
> Norbert

You should start by checking out Steve Shipway's site, in particular the
mrtg templates he has availible there.

http://www.steveshipway.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

The MRTG site is geared towards installing MRTG on Windows, not
monitoring Windows from an existing MRTG system.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.