[mrtg] Monitoring Windows for Newbies

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 8 20:32:16 CET 2011

As long as you have configured SNMP on your windows servers, then you can use cfgmaker to generate a CFG file for the windows server in a similar way to using it on a router or switch.

There are some general host templates that work for windows servers (and linux, AIX and solaris servers too) available here: http://www.steveshipway.org/cfgmaker

Also, if you want ot install the Nagios agent NSClient++ (or NC_Net, or nsclient) then there is a MRTG plugin 'mrtg-nsclient' shipped with Routers2 that allows you to query this agent from MRTG, which allows you to graph any Perfmon counter at all.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>
Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86487

From: mrtg-bounces+s.shipway=auckland.ac.nz at lists.oetiker.ch [mrtg-bounces+s.shipway=auckland.ac.nz at lists.oetiker.ch] on behalf of EDV Service Dregger - Support [Support at e-s-d.info]

Hey all!

I´m using mrtg to monitor our routers, switches and access points since years and now we want to expand it with the windows servers. As i read in the web, windows is very tricki and i don´t have a useful point to start from.

I would like to see the cpu and memory load in the first step, in an additional step maybe diskusage and uptime.

How do you create cfg file for MRTG if you want to monitor the things i want? I´ve already looked for tools like snmp walk windows and so on but i don´t now how to use it. Could you please help me? By the the – CPU Load: Is it the same way like monitoring a routers cpu load? If this would work on windows i could use it for my routers :)

Best regards from germany
Norbert