[mrtg] Monitoring a target only during certain hours

Geoff Powell geoff at g8kbz.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 21:27:06 CET 2011

In article <28E447343A85354483BCF7C3E9D5EAA514A5F281 at uxcn10-1.UoA.auckla
nd.ac.nz>, Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> writes
>>I believe the original poster was looking for a rolling 30-day average of
>>total bandwidth consumed between the hours of 8:00am and Midnight.  I
>>believe there is a workday total traffic counter which would meet his
>>purpose.
>
>I've re-read the original post, and you are probably right.  I had read it as
>they wanted to prevent the polling from occurring, but it would make more sense
>that they are trying to calculate the chargeable usage -- in which case, your
>idea of using the Routers2 working Day average calculations would of course
>work.

Steve, you and Dan are both right - what I'm after is a rolling 30-day
average of bandwidth consumed between 8 a.m. and midnight. My original
post was evidently somewhat unclear.

Thanks for the suggestion about WorkTime in Routers2 - which would
probably (I don't use RRDTool, and would prefer not to change) do the
trick.

My idea of a "helper script" was something invoked by MRTG at each run
which would SNMPGET IfInOctets and IfOutOctets for the WAN interface,
and clear the IfInOctets variable between the hours of Midnight and 8
a.m., posting the result in the usual 4 line format. But my Perl-fu
isn't up to the task. Maybe I could do it in shell.

>Steve
>

>Steve Shipway
>University of Auckland ITS
>UNIX Systems Design Lead