[mrtg] Graphs Resetting & Freezing

Matt Baer mbaer at lrnet1.com
Tue Sep 13 15:53:41 CEST 2011

Well first off, the main one that was having this issue was a Ubuntu box.
That one is still active but I wanted to replicate the issue so I did a
Debian Virtual Machine and I get freezing on both, no resets yet.  Comparing
the VM to the production box, only one graph froze on the production, while
two graphs froze on the VM, one of which was the same graph that froze on
the production, but they froze up at different times.  I'm not sure how to
get what you're asking for, but I tried how I normally debug bash scripts
and did the following:

root at debian:/etc/mrtg# sh -x env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
--logging /var/log/mrtg.log
sh: Can't open env
root at debian:/etc/mrtg# sh -x /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg --logging
/var/log/mrtg.log
/usr/bin/mrtg: 17: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Given that I'm getting similar symptoms on both machines, I think it's safe
to rule out corrupt filesystems and possibly permissions.  But looking at
permissions in the web folder, root is the owner of all files in there with
644 permissions on all.  Under the MRTG folder where the cfg and scripts
are, all scripts are owned by root with 755 permissions.  Some scripts call
text files that were transferred from another server to get their values,
those .txt files are again, owned by root with 644 permissions.  The cron
job that runs MRTG is under root's cron.  The only thing that I see that
doesn't quite match up is that apache2 runs as www-data.  Could that be it?
I don't see why it would play in to it considering MRTG is being run as root
to modify files owned by root.

--
Thanks,
Matt Baer