[mrtg] MRTG and Cable Modems

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Apr 18 00:34:43 CEST 2012

>There's a directory called home/MRTG/modemstatus and I don't see a MRTG
>config file. But there

>was a cfg file in another directory which I believe is monitor only the ports
>on the CMTS device. So

>at this point, for the modems, I'll need to set this up from scratch. How to
>do this is my question, if

>the modems were not configured for SNMP and the bin files being handed out do
>not have any SNMP

>settings configured???? How then did MRTG monitor these modems before?

I have no way to tell how you were doing it before without being able to see
the original cfg files, which you cannot find.

MRTG can collect its data from SNMP or from an external plugin.  Since you say
SNMP is and always has been disabled on these devices, I assue whoever set it
wrote a custom data collection plugin script to do the data collection, using
some other method I am not aware of.

You can check the documentation on the MRTG website on how to create a custom
plugin.

You will need to find out for yourself how to query the status of these
devices remotely without using SNMP.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway