[mrtg] MRTG with RRDcached tuning

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 1 00:31:15 CEST 2012

As a comparison, we use the rrdcached options:

    -s mrtg -m 0660 -l unix:/var/tmp/rrdcached.sock -l mrtg.auckland.ac.nz
-l localhost -z 60

    -p /var/tmp/rrdcached.pid -t 4 -j /u01/rrdtool/journal -b /u01/rrdtool
-w 1800 -O -a 6

This has had a significant improvement on our previous IO problems.

For the frontend, you could use Routers2 (which supports rrdcached directly
:).  However, if you prefer to use 14all, then you can still do this via
rrrdcached, at least  if you are using Apache.  Just set the
RRDCACHED_ADDRESS environment variable appropriately in the web server so
that it is set when the CGI is called, and this will make the 14all calls
all use rrdcached, where possible.

<Directory "/u01/www/cgi-bin">

   SetEnv RRDCACHED_ADDRESS unix:/var/tmp/rrdcached.sock

</Directory>

You might want to consider using the trunk version of rrdtool, since this
has more comprehensive rrdcached support for the various rrdtool functions.

I still find rrdcached tuning a bit of a black art, and I've been
investigating it for some time.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway