[mrtg] Fixing the 32 bit wrap-around on a switch

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 13:00:33 CET 2013

Hey folks,

I have the 32 bit wrap-around issue and I found the fix to add ':::::2' at
the end of the Target for each  port on the switch.  That's in the cfg
file.  I added that manually and it worked, but now I'm trying to figure
out how to get cfgmaker to use that target instead of the 32 bit one.
 I'm not really sure how to go about that.  Am looking at the man page and
it has this option :

--if-template=templatefile

But says it is experimental and under development and may change.  And I'm
also not sure exactly what that template file should look like.   I found
some templates down here e.g. this one

/usr/share/doc/mrtg-2.14.5/contrib/cfgmaker_cisco/cfgmaker.cisco

And in there I find the line the generates the Target, but I'm still not
clear on how to make my own template for this.

This is the release for RHEL5 so pretty old - maybe I should just look at
something newer and it will already have this problem solved for me?

thanks,
-Alan