[mrtg] kMG question / problem

Kevin M. Harrington kevinh at datatruck.com
Mon Nov 4 17:25:40 CET 2013

Hello,

I hope I'm not sending a repeat question, but I've searched the archives
and can't find an answer to my question.

I'm using MRTG to log traffic through my router, and would prefer that
everything be reported in MB/s. I've used the kMG option to adjust the
format of the text that is displayed below the graphs and this works.
However, after doing this, the Week, Month, and Year graphs display in
base units (bits). The data is correct, however it is hard to read
because along the left-side of the graph the units are huge. Here's a
text example of how the left hand side of the weekly, monthly, and
yearly graphs look:

44000000.0
33000000.0
22000000.0
11000000.0
0.0

I would prefer that it look like the Daily graph:

44.0 M
33.0 M
22.0 M
11.0 M
0.0 M

Here is the relevant section of my configuration file:

Target[eth0vlan8]: 6:xxxxxxxx at x.x.x.x:
SetEnv[eth0vlan8]: MRTG_INT_IP="x.x.x.x" MRTG_INT_DESCR="eth0.8"
MaxBytes[eth0vlan8]: 5625000
kMG[eth0vlan8]: -,-,M,G,T,P
Title[eth0vlan8]: Traffic Analysis for eth0 / vlan8
PageTop[eth0vlan8]: <h3>Traffic Analysis for eth0 / vlan8</h3>

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!