[mrtg] WAN Speed

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 9 01:17:20 CEST 2014

MRTG will measure the actual USED traffic rate (averaged over your polling
frequency); and can display a percentage relative to your stated maximum.

If you want to know the maximum CAPACITY - IE, the theoretical maximum
bandwidth - then you will need another tool that basically squirts data down
as fast as it possibly can and measures the rate.  Note that this will of
course completely saturate your link, and may cause costs if you are charged
by data usage.  There is some free software called Perfsonar that we use
here to measure WAN connectivity which can do this amongst other things.

Steve

Steve Shipway

s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz