[mrtg] migrating MRTG

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Jul 22 00:37:19 CEST 2014

On 7/21/14 9:04 AM, Ian Diddams wrote:
> I’m moving MRTG from a solaris box to a linux (centos 6) server, running
> mrtg 2.17.4 as a fresh installation.
>
> It’s all working fine BUT …  I would rather like the old history from
> the previous server to be migrated too, so that we get the full
> last-year-graph as well.
>
> I’ve tested an idea for the cpu logs we have by concatenation the old
> file beneath the new file…  but while I can see from the epoch dates in
> it the logged data is “there” it doesn’t result in a yearly/monthly file
> etc.
>
> What need I be doing to achieve this?

Assuming classic MRTG, most likely just wait.  If you did the
concatenation correctly by removing the top line and any duplicate lines
so that the entries are in correct order, it will work.  If not, you'll
get a log error about the file not being in sorted order.

However, the weekly graph is generated every 30 minutes, the monthly
graph every two hours, and the yearly just once a day so you will need
to wait for them to be generated.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net