[mrtg] Measuring RSSI

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 6 01:26:38 CEST 2015

You're returning the SNMP OID rssi.0

Can you do an SNMPwalk from the command line, and retrieve this - it may be
that the OID returns the value as a positive integer, or in a different form
to how you expect?  You may need to modify your Target line to do some sort
of post-processing (for example, some devices return temperature as an
integer in centidegrees Celsius, and so need to be divided by 10 (or even
converted to Farenheit in certain unenlightened countries:))

You do not give the entire MRTG configuration stanza here for comparison,
but I've seen it in a separate communication, so I can verify that you do
not have the 'bits' option enabled (which would multiply by 8).

Also, by default, MRTG assumes positive values.  If using RRDTool as the
backend, you need to manually tune the .rrd file to allow negative values; I
think they might be rejected by native mode MRTG.

Steve

Steve Shipway

 <mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz

(GNU Terry Pratchett)