[mrtg] Measuring RSSI

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 7 00:08:56 CEST 2015

It looks like the OID is returning a string value.  MRTG expects a Counter,
so this is not going to work without postprocessing using the ConversionCode
directive and Target suffixes.

You need to define a Conversion function, like this.

First, create a file conversion.pl in the same directory as the mrtg script
containing this:

sub string2int {

  my $value = shift;

  if ( $value =~ /(-?\d+\.?\d*)/ ) { return $1; } else { return undef; }

}

In your MRTG cfg file, have this to declare the functions:

ConversionCode: conversion.pl

Then, in your Target line, use something like this to use string2int to
postprocess the output:

Target[ezwf]: rssi.0&rssi.0:community at devicename:::::2|string2int

This will extract the '-77' from the string "-77 dBm".

However, if you are using native MRTG, you 'll have problems with decimals
and negative numbers as they are not supported.  To get around this, you
could use a simple regexp in the string2int function, such as /(\d+)/ which
will ignore and decimals and negatives.

You could use

Factor[ezwf]: -1

.to display the (positive) stored values as negative, though I'm not certain
if native-mode MRTG supports negative Factor[] definitions either.  Have
another recommendation to use the RRDTool backend J - maybe you can convince
your management.

Steve

Steve Shipway

 <mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz