[mrtg] cfgmaker with smtpv3

smcg4191 at frii.com smcg4191 at frii.com
Sun May 10 00:43:48 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am trying to get cfgmaker to talk to a smnp-v3 device (a
Cisco small business router that has only snmpv3 support,
no snmpv2c).  Using mrtg-2.17 on a Fedora-21 box.

I had mrtg working with this device in the past but the
device was configured with "no auth, no privacy".  It has
been mandated that the device must be set at least to "auth,
no privacy" which was duly done.  But I can no longer talk
to it.

This works:

  snmpwalk -v3 -u guest -A **** -l authNoPriv -a md5  device

This doesn't:

  cfgmaker --enablesnmpv3 --username=guest --authpassword=****  -ifref=ip
device

and results in the messages:

  --base: SNMP V3 libraries found, SNMP V3 enabled.
  --base: snmpv3 available, but using v1/v2c for public at gw2:
  --base: Get Device Info on public at gw2:

Why is it refusing to use snmpv3?

My question was also asked back in 2013 on this list with
no responses.