[mrtg] Syntax for 10Gbps interface name

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Tue Dec 6 00:26:30 CET 2016

> However, I have scoured the MRTG documentation and still cannot find the
> appropriate syntax for a 10Gbps port on the same switch. I have
> experimented with a number of creative names, just guesses, but none have
> worked. I have even tried using the interface description (as detailed in
> the documentation) instead of the name, but that yielded 0 output. In the
> past, I have found that referencing a VLAN does not seem to work on any of
> my Cisco switches, as it only shows Kbps of traffic rather than the
> Mbps/Gbps I would expect.

It is some time ago and my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but if memory serves
me well, the problem you describe last is that the switch offloads traffic
to the backbone so it is never seen by the vlan interfaces, only the
initial frame.

And for the first problem: you will not find this in MRTG documentation as
this is not an MRTG problem. You will need to look through Cisco
documentation and/or experiment with SNMP walk to find what you are
looking for. If available at all.

Maybe you can call Cisco or whoever sold you the switch?