[mrtg] Which filesystem for 40000 RRD files

Leonardo Reginin leonardo at procergs.rs.gov.br
Thu Dec 15 12:32:03 CET 2016

Hi Pavel

Just thinking here.

Maybe another fearless approach, could be add some extra memory to the
server and build a memory disk to keep the rrd files. This approach will
lead to a couple of scripts to keep asynchronously SYNC the MD and the
HD as well as LOAD the MD from the HD at boot time.

The penalty would be the loss in an unattended power-off, but I think
that it could be the price for pay.

On 14/12/2016 07:00, Pavel Ruzicka wrote:
> Hi Leonardo,
>
>> You could try SSDs with TRIM enable and block size optimization, since
>> RRD files are fixed length.
> It is not possible for me now to buy SSDs. I want to more power with existing
> hardware.
>
>> http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/wiki/TuningRRD
> Thanks for the link.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pavel

Att,

Leonardo Reginin

PROCERGS - Cia.  Processamento   de  Dados  do  Estado   do  RS
DTC - Divisão de Telecomunicações
SPR - Setor de Suporte e Projeto Redes
Fone: +55(51)3210-3809
'A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle' Erin Majors