[mrtg] Which filesystem for 40000 RRD files

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:41:21 CET 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Pavel Ruzicka <pavouk at pavouk.org> wrote:
> I am only asking which filesystem is best for storing RRD files.
> I use EXT3 now.

Well I don't think it will make a substantial difference.  Sounds to
me like you just have to bite the bullet and figure out how to improve
your hardware.

The only thing I can think of is ZFS with some of its advanced caching
abilities but that would involve and SSD as a cache disk and you
already said you can't add an SSD.

DId you read up yet on various benchmarking results?   Here is a good article

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Filesystems-Benchmarked

The graphs there tell me that you are trying to do the impossible.
You will get some minor performance variances but that's it.

--
"You should sit in nature for 20 minutes a day.
 Unless you are busy, then you should sit for an hour"