[mrtg] Minimum hardware

McDonald, Daniel (Dan) Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jun 2 17:08:09 CEST 2016

From: mrtg <mrtg-bounces+dan.mcdonald=austinenergy.com at lists.oetiker.ch<mailto:mrtg-bounces+dan.mcdonald=austinenergy.com at lists.oetiker.ch>> on behalf of thomaz portella <thomazp at gmail.com<mailto:thomazp at gmail.com>>

I am reading the necessity of using RRDtool together with mrtg.

Yes.  Rrdtool scales much greater than rateup.

Which benefits will I have using it or not ?

Greater granularity (up to millisecond precision if you were to poll that often) as opposed to fixed at 5 minute polling cycle.
Support for negative numbers (for example, temperature sensors or dB meters)
Faster update times - just updating a database that is designed to consolidate daily/weekly/monthly/yearly views rather than fiddling with flat files that take a long time to parse and rewrite.
Less up-front processing.  Rateup creates a graph on every polling cycle.  Rrdtool just updates the data and lets you create the graphs at time of view, leading to much lower cpu utilization.
More flexible graphs - rrdtool gives you almost limitless formatting capabilities and combined metrics, while rateup just creates one style of graph.

I need an external database or could be embedded ?

Not for rateup.  You may want one if you are tracking 100’s of switches.  Large sites generally set up mrtg configs for each switch as a separate file, and then include them all from a master mrtg.cfg file that just contains include statements from all of the switches.

For example, I have about 700 devices, all with unique snmp credentials.  I have a database that lists the credentials, as well as which template should be applied to each device.  I have a script that will check to see which devices are reachable, create a mrtg.cfg file with all of those config files included, and also put together a script to run mkconfig for a subset of the devices that are being managed.

Tks ,