[mrtg] Minimum hardware

thomaz portella thomazp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:34:37 CEST 2016

Look this server I thought:
Look this configuration I assembled.

2x XEON CPUs (single core).
8GB RAM
4x 73GB SCSI HDs (RAID10)
Red Hat
MRTG
Routers2
CA eHealth
RRDtool
EMC SAN (I forgot, We Can use this storage)
From: mrtg <mrtg-bounces+dan.mcdonald=austinenergy.com at lists.oetiker.ch> on
behalf of thomaz portella <thomazp at gmail.com>

I am reading the necessity of using RRDtool together with mrtg.

Yes.  Rrdtool scales much greater than rateup.

Which benefits will I have using it or not ?

Greater granularity (up to millisecond precision if you were to poll that
often) as opposed to fixed at 5 minute polling cycle.
Support for negative numbers (for example, temperature sensors or dB meters)
Faster update times - just updating a database that is designed to
consolidate daily/weekly/monthly/yearly views rather than fiddling with
flat files that take a long time to parse and rewrite.
Less up-front processing.  Rateup creates a graph on every polling cycle.
Rrdtool just updates the data and lets you create the graphs at time of
view, leading to much lower cpu utilization.
More flexible graphs - rrdtool gives you almost limitless formatting
capabilities and combined metrics, while rateup just creates one style of
graph.

I need an external database or could be embedded ?

Not for rateup.  You may want one if you are tracking 100’s of switches.
Large sites generally set up mrtg configs for each switch as a separate
file, and then include them all from a master mrtg.cfg file that just
contains include statements from all of the switches.

For example, I have about 700 devices, all with unique snmp credentials.  I
have a database that lists the credentials, as well as which template
should be applied to each device.  I have a script that will check to see
which devices are reachable, create a mrtg.cfg file with all of those
config files included, and also put together a script to run mkconfig for a
subset of the devices that are being managed.

Tks ,