[op-sepp] Package dependencies only work on installing but not on removing packages

Frank Thommen frank.thommen at embl-heidelberg.de
Fri Apr 19 12:47:11 CEST 2013

Hi Tobi,

basically I agree and I might go this way. But it requires lots of
discipline by the software maintainers (which I can't really rely on
here :-).  E.g. if an additional dependency (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
etc.) is added to start.pl after installation, this will not be
reflected in the reverse index unless the respective seppadm function
(install/webbuild/...) is run.  Adding to start.pl /after/ installation
happens quite often in the case of complex scientific packages where
dependencies appear only at runtime in specific functions (which are
only used now and then).

Generally I'd need a foolproof mechanism which is probably still to
check all META and start.pl files of all other packages when a package
is removed.  This will require some time but we don't often remove
package anyway ;-)

Cheers
frank