[op-sepp] Package dependencies only work on installing but not on removing packages

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Apr 24 15:55:03 CEST 2013

Hoi Frank,

Friday Frank Thommen wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> basically I agree and I might go this way. But it requires lots of
> discipline by the software maintainers (which I can't really rely on
> here :-).  E.g. if an additional dependency (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
> etc.) is added to start.pl after installation, this will not be
> reflected in the reverse index unless the respective seppadm function
> (install/webbuild/...) is run.  Adding to start.pl /after/ installation
> happens quite often in the case of complex scientific packages where
> dependencies appear only at runtime in specific functions (which are
> only used now and then).
>
> Generally I'd need a foolproof mechanism which is probably still to
> check all META and start.pl files of all other packages when a package
> is removed.  This will require some time but we don't often remove
> package anyway ;-)

can't do fool proof I guess :-) but this is not realy sepp related
... for all it's worth, a program could use some internal config to
access other parts of sepp ...

at least if you verified that the dependencies listed in META are
satisfied, you might catch some problem, AND peple might be more
inclined to track their dependencies properly.

cheers
tobi